1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I did an 8 kilometre hike through the Bruce Trail with full-pack (16km if you count the return trip) and children in tow.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I actually made any, except to make it through another year if it kills me.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my bestest pals and his lovely partner had an adorable baby girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Another of my very close friends lost her mother to cancer, which was quite the loss. Nancy had always been beyond kind to me and she is missed quite a bit.
5. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Flood coverage. A fully functioning sump pump. A well insulated roof and properly sealed duct work. Oh, hell. A complete freaking home makeover.
6. What countries did you visit?
I stayed within Canadian borders this year.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 30th. 2013. The day I got my cancer diagnosis. Worst day ever.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Maintaining my sanity, and keeping my plants alive. Some are even thriving.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Trying to make fucking gravy tonight. I swear, once upon a time I successfully made gravy, but I've completely lost that skill somewhere.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
To quote one Ms. Steph Gas "hahahahahahahaha. yes."
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My TV, after the old one caught fire. Also, my hiking boots. Going for a hike after months of wearing cheap-ass Zellers running shoes was an absolute revelation.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
All the people, including but not limited to the Well-Travelled One, the kiddies, the parentals, and numerous friends who have been insanely supportive through all the bullshit that went on this last quarter. I may need to mention the Well-Travelled One twice, just for the sheer fact that he hasn't run screaming. You'd almost think he liked me or something.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Almost every person I've had to deal with on a professional level lately, with a very special fuck-you-very-much to insurance companies and Service Canada.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Plumbers and restoration companies. Also, Mountain Equipment Co-op got a good chunk of change out of me.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I got pretty teary-excited upon finding out my cancer was stage one, and wouldn't require chemotherapy. However I still think I may have been more excited getting pointed out by Hugh Dillon at the Headstones concert in July.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I don't think I have a specific song for this year. I know I listened to a lot of the Mountain Goats and Murder By Death. Although I could say that "Titanium" has been my theme this year (along with tMG's "This Year")
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Maybe not sadder, but way more stressed out.
ii. thinner or fatter? Sameish? Down about 7 or more pounds worth of colon
iii. richer or poorer? poorer. Oh, poorer. Definitely poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd done more of the home improvements that I meant to do in the summer when I still had the strength, ability and finances to do them.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Putting stuff off.
I spent a good portion of Christmas morning on the phone and the Facebook trying to locate someone who could come and jump my car, seeing as the battery had picked an inopportune time to die. After getting it started, I ended up forgoing plans with family since my sisters house was host to some sort of plague that me and my broken digestive system felt that we should avoid like.. well... the plague. So I spent a lot of the day being bummed out. Then we had pizza.
21. There was no #21. I don’t know why there was no 21.
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Only more so.
23. How many one-night stands?
Um, well... I got two new night stands. Does that count?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Got obsessed with Revolution and fell in love with New Girl.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Kind of hating the woman at Service Canada who gave me attitude and then proceeded to lose my Record of Employment
26. What was the best book you read?
1985 by Jian Ghomeshi. I'm a sucker for pop culture, nostalgia and randomly placed top five lists.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I've been loving the hell out of Murder By Death.. Whom I guess I actually discovered at CMW in 2012, but they've been getting really heavy rotation this year.
28. What did you want and get?
I don't really want for much, or covet anything, really so nothing is jumping out at me. I wanted a camera. I got one for Christmas from work.
29. Wait.. is there no 29 either?
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I've only seen a small handful of movies from this year and most of them were pretty underwhelming. I've spent more time filling in the list of movies I should have watched ages ago. I think the one I had the most feelings over was Leon the Professional.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33, and drove to Tobermory to camp with the kids and the Well Travelled One.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
An almost complete do-over.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
I don't have much of a fashion concept. I got a lot more practical and tried to work on getting some good quality basics that will last for some time, while supplementing with the occasional fun thrift store find.
34. What kept you sane?
Dark, inappropriate humour.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I, like most of the Internet, have a huge love for Jenny Lawson.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I've been following the fast food and retail strikes with a lot of interest. They deserve more, especially since we are talking about more than just high-schoolers needing extra cash.. These are people trying to raise families and survive.
37. Who did you miss?
A lot of people. I haven't been terribly social this year.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't feel like I've met too many new people this year.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
Always buy the flood insurance. ALWAYS BUY THE FLOOD INSURANCE.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year (because this Meme is apparently written for tweens):
"Someone say a Hail Mary for this house. Bless the corners and burn the devil out."